Which rice cooker in Australia is the best one for you? Cuckoo or Tiger?
- The most expensive rice cooker may not be the best one for you. Your choice should be based on your needs and budget.
- Brands, country of origin, price range, size, materials, heating system are all factors to consider.
Cuckoo is known for its quality and is, without a doubt, a popular option based on customer feedback. Tiger is also very good. The brand has been around for over a half century, and their rice cookers have an excellent track record for durability.
Tiger and Cuckoo insist on keeping production near their Research and Development departments (R&D) in Japan and Korea respectively. Quality control is greatly enhanced this way.
Rice cookers: factors to consider
When choosing a rice cooker for yourself, the first thing you need to consider is the price range. There are people who just want a top model for around $1000. That product will undoubtedly be the best. However, a rice cooker that costs about $400 can be just as effective as more expensive models.
Size is the next factor to consider. There are 3-cup, 5-cup, 5.5-cup, 6-cup and 10-cup options (see footnote regarding capacity) available. A cup refers to 150ml to 180ml of uncooked rice, which is equivalent to two small bowls of rice you normally see in Japanese and Korean restaurants.You may then choose the material of the inner pot.
For customers who do not want non-stick surfaces, Buffalo stainless steel rice cooker is an alternative. Buffalo rice cookers are made in China. Stainless steel rice cookers also have a few limitations you should be aware of.
Consider the types of rice cookers
Consider the following information carefully. Choose the types of rice cooker that you want.
We have a filter on the left side of our website. Under heating system, there are three major options: base heated, pressure cooking and IH induction cooking.
- Base heat: the traditional type of heating from the base.
- Pressure cooking: a breakthrough in the rice cooker industry, it will raise the temperature and cook rice more efficiently, especially brown rice.
- IH Induction: allow rice to be heated from 360 degrees, including from the top. Heat will not be concentrated at the bottom, and rice will taste better.
We categorise all rice cookers into the following categories.
What you need is the most important factor
Some customers have a highly developed taste for rice and can detect subtle differences, so pressure plus IH would be a good option for them. Others do not even bother to descern different tastes and just want durable products, and they can get by with a basic base heat rice cooker.
While Japan has long made solid rice cookers, Koreans invented a system that was entirely new. If you already know how to use a Japanese rice cooker. Tiger rice cookers will be easy to use. If you do not mind using newer technologies, you will find that Cuckoo rice cookers have a lot to offer.
How about the Zojirushi rice cookers?
How about Zojirushi rice cookers? Zojirushi consistently rank high in reviews and forum posts. Unfortunately, Zojirushi does not supply rice cookers to Australia.
Customers can purchase them internationally, but warranties are not always included. Reviews occasionally mention damage to Zojirushi rice cookers upon delivery, and the damage is not covered by warranty.
Our recommendation is to buy locally in Australia.
We have a helpful team at My Cookware Australia®
If you would like to discuss what kind of rice cooker you need, feel free to contact us at any time. We will provide you with individualised advice based on your needs.
Remeber that the most expensive option is not always the best option for you. You should get what you want based on your budget and your specific needs.
If you have any additional questions, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the chat box in the right lower corner of the page. Our friendly team will respond as soon as possible.
Click here to see all rice cookers.
Capacity of Japanese and Korean rice cookers
Please see the following note regarding rice cooker capacity.
- The capacity of Korean and Japanese rice cookers is measured very simply. Tiger and Cuckoo rice cookers use 180ml as 1 measurement cup. 10 cups is 1.8 litres.
- 1 cup is equivalent to 2 small bowls of rice that we usually see in restaurants.
- The liters in the Japanese and Korean rice cooker industry do not refer to the exact volume of the inner pot. It refers to the amount of rice that the rice cooker is capable of cooking.
*The author of this article is Kai, our product specialist at My Cookware®.
COPYRIGHT WARNING: Content theft of any kind is immediately reported to Google, which results in ranking penalties. Original texts can be verified in internet archives. My Cookware Australia® holds the copyrights for all the content on this site, including articles, product descriptions, and user guides.